About this report
This Sustainability Report describes Tarmac's progress and performance against its sustainability objectives during 2011.
The report is guided by Tarmac’s Sustainability Framework, which helps us to identify and report on the key sustainability issues that are relevant to our business, our customers and our many stakeholder groups. This is the fourth year we have reported using our Sustainability Framework, providing a consistent way of charting and communicating our performance and progress. Our last report outlined our sustainability progress for 2010/11. Prior to 2008, we published an annual Report to Society from 2004 to 2007, aligned with Anglo American’s method of reporting.
Our Sustainability Framework is grouped into four key themes, which inform the structure of this report. They are:
- Sustainable Products
- Climate Change
- Natural Resources & The Environment
- People & Communities
Global Reporting Initiative
In 2011, we continued to report on our activities in line with the GRI (Global Reporting Initiative) G3.1 guidelines – see the GRI index for coverage of key indicators.
This report is a GRI-checked application level ‘A’.
Sustainability report scope
The main part of this report summarises the performance of our UK business, Tarmac and Tarmac Building Products, during 2011, and includes the joint ventures and subsidiaries listed below. The performance of Tarmac’s Middle East operations is reported in the Tarmac Middle East section. As we completed the divestment of all our other international businesses this year, these are not included in this report.
Data is for the calendar year 2011 unless otherwise indicated.
Data is included in this report for the following wholly owned subsidiaries trading under their own name:
- BDP Surfacing Limited
- Huw Howatson Limited
- Tarmac Caledonian Limited
- National Road Planning Limited
- Cambrian Stone Limited
- East Coast Slag Products Limited
- Tarmac Marine Dredging Limited
- Tarmac (South West) Limited
Data is also included in this report for the following main joint ventures:
- Harlow Asphalt Limited
- West Lothian Recycling Limited
- Hepplewhite Quarries & Plant Hire Limited
Data for the following joint ventures is not included in this report:
- C & H Quick-Mix Limited
- Isle of Wight Aggregates Limited
- Elstow Asphalt Limited
- Mersey Asphalt Limited
- Midland Quarry Products Limited
- Newhaven Roadstone Limited
- North Tyne Roadstone Limited
- R H Roadstone Limited
- TarmacChurngold Recycled Aggregates Limited
- Tendley Quarries Limited
- Walsh Construction (Malvern) Limited
- Tilcon-Huttenes Albertus Limited
- Precast Cellular Structures Limited
The following data in Tarmac’s Sustainability Report is also included in the Anglo American Sustainability Report and comes within the scope of external assurance provided by PricewaterhouseCoopers as part of the Anglo American group assurance processes:
- Fatality Injury Frequency Rate (FIFR)
- Lost Time Injury Frequency Rate (LTIFR)
- Number of New Cases of Occupational Diseases (NCOD)
- Total CO2 emissions from processes and fossil fuels in 1,000 tonnes
- Total CO2 emissions from electricity purchased in 1,000 tonnes
- SO2 emissions in 1,000 tonnes from smelters
- Total energy used in PJ
- Total water used for primary activities in 1,000 cubic metres
- Land altered for mineral extraction activities (ha)
- Land fully rehabilitated (ha)
- Total number of level 2 and 3 environmental incidents reported.
We will continue to use the Tarmac Sustainability Framework to guide future reporting so that we can provide consistency and clarity of approach. We are committed to reporting on sustainability regularly and transparently.
We value feedback or questions on any aspect of this report and our sustainability performance – please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.