Natural resources and the environment
We manage the impact of our activities on the environment; promoting biodiversity, safeguarding archaeological heritage and restoring sites are an integral part of our responsibility.
We are also committed to using natural resources responsibly and sustainably. This includes minimising waste, conserving water, controlling our emissions and helping to recycle or reuse waste to make useful products.
Given the breadth and nature of our business, it is essential that we protect the environments in which we work and live. This involves focusing on biodiversity, cataloguing archaeological finds, restoring sites, working with local communities to understand and address their concerns, and having strict standards and policies for environmental management at each site.
We have been recognised for our dedication to biodiversity by achieving The Wildlife Trusts' Biodiversity Benchmark for land management for our quarries in Northumberland, Yorkshire and Humberside. This acknowledges our continual commitment to biodiversity improvement and contributing positively to the environment.
Find out more about the Biodiversity
We are also very proud to have won first place in the national birds category for quarry sites in the BTO (British Trust for Ornithology) EDF Energy Business Bird Challenge. This was awarded to our quarry in Lound, near Retford, after local bird watchers from Lound bird club spotted a record 171 bird species visiting the site during 2010.
Efficient use of natural resources
Our materials and products are used across the UK in all aspects of our everyday lives. We need to use our natural resources carefully and efficiently. We are doing this by focusing on reducing waste, promoting the use of recycled materials and conserving water.
Did you know?
- Tarmac was the first quarrying company to have Biodiversity Action Plans (BAPs) and they are now in place at all active quarries.
- We restored 3,258 hectares of land cumulatively (end 2008 to 2010). Restoration methods include planting of trees, treating the soil for agricultural uses and encouraging biodiversity.
- 99% of our active operational sites have ISO 14001 certification.
- Over 70% of our concrete products have recycled or secondary material content.
- 92% reduction in waste to licensed landfill since 2004.
Read more in the
Sustainability report microsite