People and communities are at the heart of our business. To be sustainable and successful, we must work in an open and collaborative way with a wide range of stakeholders, provide employees with a rewarding and safe place to work, while understanding the needs and expectations of our communities.
We are the UK’s largest quarrying and construction materials supplier, and take the utmost care to manage and minimise the impacts of our operations on people and communities. We operate a safe business, and strive to create a supportive and progressive work environment for our employees. We also believe that it is important to promote the positive benefits that our business brings, both locally and nationally.
We are committed to providing a safe working environment and ensuring the health, safety and wellbeing of our employees, contractors and anyone else that could be affected by our operations. We communicate openly about our business so that people living near Tarmac sites are confident that we manage our operations in a responsible way. We do this by:
- focusing on zero harm and reducing risks to occupational health
- maintaining trust and proactively seeking the views of our neighbours and local communities, by regularly holding open days and site visits
- understanding and addressing concerns
- investing locally, by employing individuals and firms located near our sites
- maintaining links with local and national authorities, and trade associations
- monitoring legislation and best practices so that we can adapt our approach in line with changing regulations and help to develop efficient legislation
- building and maintaining positive, long-term relationships with our key customers, contractors and suppliers – by working hard to understand the relevant issues that affect them and delivering appropriate products, services and solutions
- ensuring that our workforce is competent, trained and properly equipped to carry out their jobs safely.