Sustainability is integral to everything we do as a business. Our climate change strategy focuses on two crucial areas: energy efficiency and greenhouse gas management. We are committed to ongoing carbon reduction across our operations and our robust targets guide employees, customers and suppliers to reduce their environmental impacts.
We’re continuously improving our energy efficiency and cutting greenhouse gas emissions to deliver on our challenging short- and medium-term targets. Tarmac works closely with legislators on climate change regulation, to ensure that we’re in the best position to manage emerging issues for our business and our customers, and to ensure that legislation does not unfairly disadvantage the UK.
We take a ‘whole-life’ approach to addressing the carbon footprint of our products. Although cutting embodied CO2 is important, it must be considered in the context of the whole-life carbon emissions and energy performance of a product when in use. Based on this approach, Tarmac is obtaining significant carbon efficiency benefits by offering materials with greater durability and thermal mass.
Our climate change strategy focuses on two key areas where we have the most direct influence:
- Minimising the energy used in the manufacture and supply of our products and services.
- Developing products with lower embodied carbon footprints, through improved processes and by promoting the use of recycled materials.
- Helping our clients by improving the in-use energy efficiency of our products by encouraging ‘whole-life’ thinking and promoting our products’ inherent sustainable properties, such as thermal mass.
Greenhouse gas management
- Minimising carbon emissions from the manufacture and supply of products and services.
- Helping clients by developing products with lower ‘whole-life’ carbon impact, and drawing on inherent properties of our materials such as thermal mass and durability.
- Encouraging customers to take a ‘whole-life’ approach, advising on product specification and promoting our products’ intrinsic sustainable properties.
- Supporting customers in identifying the most appropriate and sustainable product options, helping them to understand and measure whole-life carbon footprints and sustainability performance.