Chemical resistant concrete for rock salt storage facility
Stockton Borough Council is responsible for maintaining the majority of the region's roads, including gritting them in the winter to keep delays and accidents to a minimum.
The rock salt problem
As with many road maintenance programmes, the council uses rock salt during the winter months to treat icy roads that could develop on the 225 miles of road. As rock salt contains aggressive chlorides, it was vital that suitable products, capable of chemical resistance, were used within the store.
Also it was imperative that the storage facility floor was jointless as the high chemical content of rock salt makes it likely to penetrate any floor joints leading to corrosion of the steel.
To combat these issues, steel fibres were mixed with Tarmac's Toproc CR to provide a completely jointless floor covering. Tarmac Toproc CR is a microsilica concrete specially formulated from selected cements and chemical resisting aggregates. It is much more durable and exhibits less wear in high abrasive environments than traditional concrete and therefore proved to be the ideal solution for the council's rock salt storage facility.
Toproc CR benefits
- Increased resistance to a wide range of chemicals
- A reduced heat of hydration to minimise the risk of thermal cracking in large mass pours
- Toproc CR exhibits less wear than conventional concrete in high abrasion environments
Why Tarmac Toproc high performance concrete?
- UK's only BBA-certified ready mixed concrete
- Can be high strength, early-strength, fast setting, heat resistant, or water resistant
- Toproc concretes are longer lasting than conventional concrete
- Reduce costs over their longer lifetimes